Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Knowledge is Power?

Today I was reading my history on the world during Caesar Augustus... (currently about the Golden Age and) about the philosophers. You know like Socrates, Plato and Aristotle. I read about what Socrates did and taught during his life time. He believed that the soul is immortal (at least he got that right). He said, "Life and it's possessions are not of great importance, but a good life is. For no real evil can come to a good man either in life or death." (What is that? What about Job? Sounds pretty lame to me.) Well did you know that Philosopher means "One who loves wisdom"? Plato concluded that, "Anyone who is curious to learn every sort of knowledge and is never satisfied, may be called an philosopher." This really made me start thinking....
Should we really strive to know everything/all we can know?
For what reason do we need to know it all?
By knowing everything will it help us grow closer to God?
So I did a bit of research...
1 Corinthians 13:8, "Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge it shall vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
1 Corinthians 8:1-2, "Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth. And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know."
Sooo... "yet as he ought to know." Hmmmmmm. Well I guess that is pretty clear. I'm not very good at putting my thoughts down on paper so this probably looks pretty unorderly. I just thought this was interesting. Tell me what you think or if I took any of these verses out of context (or if I ever do for that matter) but I don't think I did.
P.S. Hey if you have a dull moment go read Ecclesiastes chapter 2. It's great for all those merry making people ( you know ..."is never satisfied") who think they can satisfy that empty feeling in there heart with out the aid of Christ....
I'm not implying that ya'll have problems with this!! :) TTYL!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that was pretty impressive Mel. You gave your reason for your thoughts, your thoughts, backup for your thoughts, and a request for others' thoughts. Sounded pretty orderly to me!

~Fab

Sandal the Flip Flop said...

Ah! Mary I love you it was so good that I think it has inspired me but I have been studying the love of Christ it is so cool to learn new stuff. sanny

Christine E. Coffey said...

Really good Bible study girl! I love doing little research kinda stuff like that! It really is encouraging to know that we all are interrested in the same things like that too!
~marty