Wednesday, January 20, 2010

In Case You Aren't Convinced...

...let me post this small snippet from Robert Fulghum's book that I mentioned in my previous post:

If you ask my next-door neighbor what he does for a living, he will tell you that he is a professional gambler involved in organized crime. In truth, he is an insurance agent. He has a healthy disrespect for his business, and extends that skeptical mode into his philosophy of life. "We're all gamblers," says he, "every one of us. And life is a continual crapshoot and poker game and horse race."
Then he adds, "And I love the game!"
He's a great believer in hedging his bets, however, protecting himself by betting both ways when the odds are close. Philosophically this gets expressed in these sayings mounted on his office wall:

-Always trust your fellow man. And always cut the cards
-Always trust God. And always build your house on high ground.
-Always love thy neighbor. And always pick a good neighborhood to live in.
-The race is not always to the swift, nor the bottle to the strong, but you better bet that way.
-Place your bet somewhere between turning-the-other-cheek and enough-is-enough-already.
-Place your bet somewhere between haste-makes-waste and he-who-hesitates-is-lost.
-About winning: It isn't important. What really counts is how you play the game.
-About Losing: It isn't important. What really counts is how you play the game.
-About playing the game: Play to win!

Does he really believe that? Does he live by it? I don't know. But I play poker with him. And I bought my insurance from him. I like his kind of odds.

No comments: