Thursday, January 28, 2010

Cowards and Heroes

There are heroes, and there are cowards.
It's easy to see that cowards exist... not only do they display themselves every day to the whole world, but we, each one of us, see a bit of a coward in ourselves.
Heroes are real. There's no doubt about it. The hero is the one who considered himself and decided to sacrifice his own best interest for someone else. A coward cannot understand a hero. were a coward to put himself in the hero's shoes, he would find his guts crumbling under fear and self pity and his mind would invent reasons for escape or retreat.
The coward says to himself, "I cannot help the world if I'm locked away, dead, or whatever the situation be!"
The hero says to himself, "I am a simple human but let me try and help the world!"
And though the coward lives a long life, it is the hero who, in the course of his life, really lived.

My prayer is this: that when the chance arises, let us not "fear death, but fear the unlived life" (so said by Mr. Tuck)... that we may rise to the opportunity and serve the graater good, and not ourselves.

2 comments:

~Courtney Jo~ said...

Very interesting point! It makes me think of some of my childhood heroes. :) Nice post Mary Jellooo! ^_^

Mary Ellen said...

Thanks!!!
Who were some of your childhood heroes??!!