Saturday, April 27, 2013

Spring Is A Good Thing

It is finally here! The long awaited nice weather! And boy is it refreshing.

Channing announced, "I saw a fly today."
My dad just laughed and said, "Oh, just wait...."

A fella by the name of Mark has been staying with us quite a bit over the last few months. He has a 80's Honda dirt bike and all of the boys have spent a good deal of time zipping around the farm on it. ...and that includes my dad!

Yesterday Channing decided it was time for me to try it out. He gave me a ride first and then convinced me that I could drive it myself. All of that clutch, brake, throttle, gear stuff is foreign to me, but I made it around the yard a few times and even went into 2nd gear!!! Haha.... yeah, I know, not that fast, but it was awesome!




A little calf was born yesterday and it decided Paddy was it's mother. Where ever Paddy went the calf was sure to go! It was adorable. I happened to catch them resting together in the evening sun:




Paddy said of the weather, "I think this must have been what it felt like in the garden of Eden."


Nellie is as cute as ever in her barn boots and ball cap! Always up to something!


And things are growing! New life, sunshine, the smell of dirt and earth in the air. The birds are tweeting, the sky is blue... nope, no green grass yet but I bet it'll be here in a day or two. It's simply glorious.


The hardest part about Spring is remembering that the ol' white skin isn't used to the heavy rays of light. I'll admit, I got a little burn yesterday. ...it was worth it!

Today everyone is outside busy at work. The house is so quiet now. In the winter there's hardly a solitary moment when indoors. But winter's long rest is over. We'll be making up for all of that down time with the endless tasks to be done on the farm.
Even now the guys, under Mom's supervision, are digging a hole and transplanting a peach tree. Chances are, I'll sneak out and do something fun later on but for now I get to do the indoor tasks: dinner, dusting, dishes... all that good stuff. I don't mind it though. I'm just glad to be a part of it all!
Anyways, it's time to be off!

Until next time,
~Mary Ellen

No comments: