Monday, April 15, 2013

Snowmen Prophets of Doom




 




If you would have visited my town this past week you may have thought it was the middle of January. Yesterday huge snowflakes fell from some heavenly storehouse, littering every scape. It seems as though winter may never leave since it has been here so long and continues it's cold vigil.
As I brought in a group of cows yesterday morning, I heard a strange sound. A flock of geese flying over head! Though the steady wind bent them in a westward direction, it was clear they were headed North. I now know how Noah must have felt, standing on the ark as the dove flew back to him with an olive branch in it's beak. Even now the weather man predicts two more snow-showers this week. Yet, as the birds fly Northward, there is hope for Spring.

A fellow from my church lamented the prolonged winter in a rather amusing fashion. I think his Psalm pretty much sums up the mood around here:

"A Psalm of Jordan in the Valley of Chippewa, when snows fell in April.

Lord, why dost thou mock me! Will I not glorify thy name when thou sendest the snow in his season, yea the plentiful powder, that I may snowboard thereon? Wherefore must I eat the bread of sorrow, and drink the wine of mine iniquity? For thou hast caused the snow to cover the spring lily, yea, thou wilt not suffer the tulip to rise by reason of the untimely flakes. Behold! My head have I shaved in preparation of summer, to cool mine head when the summer sun sends forth his heat from on high. But now, Alas! for in the midst of this whiteness my head is shaved in shame. Oh Lord, my God, thou sendest the snow upon the snowboarder and the skier, the just and the unjust, in season and out of season, still my soul shall praise thy name forever! Only my heart might be found a little more merry, if thou wouldest pay a little more attention to thy calendar. Amen."


What I really love about Wisconsinites is that a little bit of sunshine can rejuvenate their spirits! It may only be 35 degrees out and they roll down their car window as they go for a drive, leave their coat in the closet or feel alive again as they tap their feet to Kenny Chesney's song No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problem. Silly little things like that. Quite an optimistic group of people! Then again, you'd have to be optimistic to live in a region where you may seriously have Christmas in July. 
...it's a real possibility this year, folks. 

No comments: