Tuesday, April 27, 2010

To Go or Not to Go

My grandma was over for dinner a few evenings ago and my mom was happily telling her, "I'll have you know your granddaughter signed up on FastWeb [a website that helps you get scholarships and grants for college] today and is looking into collage degrees..." (or something like that). My Grammy said something about all the different degrees you can take now, and my father remarked, "there are about 50 degrees outside...."
Leave it to my dad to say something funny. Nevertheless he had some truth in his jest. I've been thinking about life and careers and the more I think about it the more a 'career' or going to school for a career seems unappealing to me. I have a desire to learn and there are numerous 'fields' I would enjoy going into.
My first question in considering college was, "how do I decide what I want to do?". No doubt a common question. But even if I were to buckle down to a few different options, what would I do with what I learned or a degree?
The truth is this: I don't want a career. Going to college means debt... and you have to have a good job/career to pay for what you learn. I don't like debt. I do like work though.
Being in school for all of high school I've spent a lot of my time sitting at a desk or on my bed studying. Therefore, during school, I get out of the habit of helping around the house as much and working around our farm... which makes me less content.
I've realized that for what I want to do with my life, a college degree is unnecessary. I am the happiest when I'm helping my mom tend to normal life chores and tasks.
The #1 job I could ever have would be my service to my family (present and future) and someday I hope to be a helpmeet and a housewife. I don't think there could be any more noble occupation for a woman in God's eyes.

This of course doesn't mean I won't go to college if I get the choice. But I'm not going to just go because that's what everyone else does.
So we'll see what the future holds.

4 comments:

~Courtney Jo~ said...

College: the question that arises in most everyone's life.
In your case, you really could go either way. :) I remember when I was little I just wanted to grow up and be a mom. God's planted a desire in my heart now though, to reach the deaf for Him. It is definitely something to seek the Lord about. Although, you could always be a milk maid for your dad! :) And I think that is a pretty fun job! hehe.
Besides, who can beat having your dad for your boss? =]

Mary Ellen said...

You know I think it's really cool that you're willing to do something like that. I can't think of a more pacient and cheerful person to reach the deaf with God's grace!!
You are so right! I definitely enjoy being a milk maid AND I am such a lucky girl to be able to have my dad for a boss AND to be able to help him keep his farm running. =)

~Courtney Jo~ said...

Oh Mary Ellen, you are so kind! Thanks my dear! All by God's grace, right! :)

Yes! I think it is definitely awesome that you are a milk maid! It is nice that you can have a secure job that way, and definitely awesome that you can help keep the family farm running! :) Mary the milk maid! I declare that Mary the milk maid should be made into a song! hehe! love you!!

Cory said...

Mary Ellen, we were over at J & E's last evening, looking at your blog, cute pictures of family, and we got to read part of your "Reflections" post. Thank you for sharing that. I like to write, and it is not frequent that I find prose that I really enjoy. Susie and I agree that you are a gifted writer. We hope, whether in college or not, you use your gift well. Also, I recall being your age and trying to choose between college and a "practical" approach to life and career, concerned about debt and wondering where college would lead when I had no clear goal. I am 50 now and wishing I would have gone to college. My advice, don't get to 50 and find yourself wondering what might have been. The decisions you make today will affect many in the years to come.