Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Wine

It all started last night at dinner when I was looking at a No Greater Joy article on survival (and if you don't get the magazine you can get it for free and it's definitely worth your time). It was going over some of the common "weeds" that are really quite edible. It mentioned the dandelion and the different things you could use it for and I thought, "I should really look into making dandelion wine!"
I've heard that its a very delicious sweet wine, and a great energy booster on a hot summer's day, but I've never tried it myself.

So I looked up dandelion wine making on Google and found this website.

I also stumbled across Wine Library TV. Even if you don't drink wine you'll enjoy Wine Library TV's host, Gary Vaynerchuk's energetic, flamboyant descriptions and analyzation. G.V. is a bit eccentric but adds a bit of pizazz that is always entertaining.

Anyways, with my parents (and pretty much for them) and the rest of my family we'll attempt to create some dandelion wine. If you're interested in the results come see me in 6 months or this time next year. ;)

3 comments:

~Courtney Jo~ said...

:) te-he Mary El! That is wonderful. The thing I find most fascinating is that I had my little four-year-old 2nd cousin over yesterday and we were "making salad" out of dandelions. :]
Oh the beauty of a weed. Just the other day I saw these gorgeous tiny purple flowers. They were so adorable so I stuck them in my hair. They lasted a few hours. heh!
I haven't had time to blog much because I have been busy with 2 jobs and school work. I hope to get on to write soon. I miss you! I wish I could come see you soon, but I think it may have to be a while but I want to come at least one time this summer.. :) I hope!!
Okie dokie, I love you Mary Elliee.

~Courtney Jo~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Ellen said...

Awwww... that's so cute that you made a dandelion salad!! =) I've been thinking about looking into more of the things you can do w/ dandelions!!! I mean, heck, they're free!!! =D
Wow, I understand about being busy. Don't fret it... I'm glad you're getting things done. There's nothing like being productive!! It's a good feeling at the end of the day, right? =)
I KNOW... we def. need to see each other at least once or twice this summer. I'm definitely going to try to come see YOU too. =)
Well see where life takes us. ;)
Love you much dear Courtney Jo!!!