Tuesday, June 28, 2016

What It Means To Be A Person

It was a Thanksgiving evening a good number of years ago, when my uncle decided that we were all sedated enough by the fullness of turkey, stuffing and pie, to trick us into taking a personality test. Indeed, we were too full to protest to sitting down in front of a questionnaire full of seemingly nonsensical questions, so we agreed to be Uncle David's personality guinea pigs.



In our vegetative state of mind we were quite certain that Uncle D. was full of it and this Dr. Phil phoo phoo was just another post-modern phase.

 

As each of us took the test and read our results we couldn't stifle laughter or the contemplative "ah-ha" moments. It was a little more spot on than we'd figured. Of course, Uncle D. was over our shoulders like the evil mastermind finally bringing into submission a whole planet of minions. Okay... well maybe he wasn't that devious and I'm sure he just wanted to encourage conversation and better understanding among the family (though I thought he'd enjoy that depiction since he's an INFP, aka the personality type that believes fairy tales are real).

Ever since that revealing day, personality typology has been a subject of interest in my family. I am guilty of convincing all of my friends, and most anyone who I think won't be too weirded-out, to sit down to a personality test. Some of the tests are better than others. If you haven't ever discovered what your personality type is, I highly recommend it. Or if you have taken it already, it never hurts to take it again. I discovered that my personality has changed (or maybe my understanding of who I am has grown?) since the night Uncle Dave enlightened us to personality profiles. This one, by Human Metrics, is my favorite right now. This test is based on the Carl Jung and Isabel Briggs Myers typology.



I must say, these tests and ideas are not the be-all and end-all. They aren't going to give all of the answers for your life or completely figure you out to a T. They're more like guidelines. Very good guidelines for understanding who you are better, what it means to be you, why you do things the way you do them... and so on. It's not about right or wrong. It's about who we are as people, and understanding who we are will give us more security and curiosity to go out and understand others better.

It's fun. It's not the end of the world. And who knows... it may give you some much needed peace about your personality as you'll discover that, in fact, you aren't horrible for being a babbling extrovert or an I'd-rather-be-alone introvert. Or for making detailed plans for your vacation... or doing just the opposite and throwing organized lists out the window in favor of spontaneity.

When I first took the test I was probably 15 or 16 and my result was an ESFJ. Now I'm an ENFP... (although I occasionally get ESFP).

I really like this website for an overview description of each of the 16 personality types: Keirsey Temperment Overview. It seems to give a decent, brief view of each type.



I also like this site for a little more detail of each type: The Personality Page. It gives a more in depth look at the different types.

These are just a few of the informative websites on the subject that are available out there. Let me know if you find some that you like better!

Anyway, it's good fun! Take the test if you haven't. Alas, I'm not done writing about this subject but it's 10pm... which is 30 minutes past my bedtime. I guess 7 and 1/2 hours of sleep will have to do tonight. :)

2 comments:

Court said...

This is my score

ESFP
Extravert(44%) Sensing(12%) Feeling(38%) Perceiving(3%)
You have moderate preference of Extraversion over Introversion (44%)
You have slight preference of Sensing over Intuition (12%)
You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (38%)
You have marginal or no preference of Perceiving over Judging (3%)

Mary Ellen said...

Oh yay! That's what I thought you were, but it's even cooler now that I can see the percentages. People usually forget to remember that part (they only remember the four letters) but that's just as important!
It's funny I had the same amount of Perceiving over Judging (3%).... =D *identical friends*