Friday, July 8, 2016

July Article

With the business of Summer I had very little time to write something decent for the newspaper. I did manage to put together something short... and sometimes less can be more. Here's my article:



Life Is Worth Protecting

“Life is a flame that is always burning itself out, but it catches fire again every time a baby is born.” - George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

While browsing through the many posts on my Facebook homepage I saw a discussion regarding gun control after the tragic shooting in Orlando, Florida. This comment caught my attention: "The debate over abortion is rooted in the issue over when life begins. I think we both agree that all those who died in the mass shooting were very much alive prior to taking a bullet." - anonymous Facebook user.
Statements like this blow my mind. People are upset (as they should be) when an endangered animal is killed, or when 50 people are shot to death, and yet on a daily basis the FUTURE of the human race is aborted at an astonishing rate.

I'm not trying to negate the Orlando massacre or sweep other calamities under the rug. It's just that every time something terrible happens I want to be sad with everyone else. I want to mourn the loss of innocent people. Yet my first thought is always, “...yeah, but abortion.” How can a person sympathize and grieve with the rest of humanity over the continual atrocities, without considering how seared the American conscience has become and remembering the babies aborted?



Abortion isn't a debate. Abortion is murder. Those babies in the womb are very much alive when they are aborted. Until people can stop picking and choosing which facts and truths they'd like to believe we will never stop having people choosing to murder those who do not deserve to die. That man at the concert had no right to take the singer, Christina Grimmie's life. The Muslim fellow had no right to decide that homosexuality was offensive enough to justify murdering 50 people. Even as people who are pro-life shouldn't run out and murder abortionists. It is hypocritical. I don't care if you're gay, straight, in the womb or out of the womb.
Life is life... protect it.

2 comments:

Court said...

That's good Mary El- very true points. ^^

Mary Ellen said...

Thanks, Court!!! =D