Thursday, June 9, 2016

Cook Me Curry

I went out to dinner for Thai with my friend, Chris, a few weeks ago. I hadn't ever ordered curry before and I thought I hadn't tried it either, so in favor of a new experience I ordered a green curry. Well, it was one of those moments where I was struck with my complete 'blondness' as I realized I've actually been cooking curry for the past year. Although it's true, I've never had curry at a restaurant, I have made it at home a number of times. Some things in life are just too obvious. ;)

As it happens I was working for my dad's boss' wife last Summer. She was in charge of cooking meals for the concrete crew. Which means she planned out the meals and I cooked them. Haha! Knowing how picky guys can be she had me make some really delicious meals. This recipe was one she had me prepare and it was so easy and delicious! Something different from the same old meals I was used to at my house.
If you want to make an easy meal, something that will please everyone, try making this curry:

Fragrant Chicken Curry

2 T. curry powder
1 t. ground ginger
½ t. cinnamon
¼ t. cayenne pepper
2 T. vegetable oil
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 rotisserie chicken, skinned and boned
(meat pulled into large chucks – 3 ½ to 4 cups)
1 13.5 oz. can coconut milk
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 14.5 oz. can chicken broth

To serve: Cooked basmati rice, chopped fresh cilantro and mango chutney
Mix spices in small bowl. Heat oil in a dutch oven or small soup kettle over medium-high heat; add onion and saute until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic; saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add spices; toast until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add chicken; stir until completely coated with spices. Add coconut milk, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a simmer; cook uncovered until flavors blend and stew is thick, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, sprinkle with cilantro and serve over rice. Pass chutney separately. Serves: 6
 
 

One thing Mrs. E. changed was the rice. I haven't tried making the basmati rice yet but this Indian rice recipe is to die for. In fact, Mrs. E.'s brother-in-law who was from India taught her how to make this rice recipe, so it's authentic Indian cuisine. It goes really well with the curry recipe as the spices in each dish compliment each other.
I must say, I did not use a rotisserie chicken. Instead I boiled a chicken in water (with generic spices: salt, pepper, garlic). It's like killing two birds with one stone as it provides your meat and your broth.
I also don't have curry powder on hand so I used the "Thai Kitchen" brand of curry paste. I also haven't tried the cilantro or the mango chutney, but I'd imagine they'd both be nice.

Indian Rice

onion, chopped
cooking oil
2 c. rice, raw
stick of cinnamon
6 whole cloves
6 peppercorns
½ t. tumeric
chopped tomato
green peas

Brown onion. Add spices. Add rice. 1 can of chicken broth; the rest water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
(in essence cook brown rice as normal, substituting part of the water for chicken broth, and adding other ingredients when you start to cook rice)

No comments: