Saturday, March 1, 2014

It Is Not Time That Ages Us

February is gone, robbing us of an extra day or two, it would seem. Though the calendar reads, "March", the snow is no less deep and the winter no less bitter. After a short burst of 40 degree weather we are again greeted each morning by the chill, sub-zero temperatures. People are hopeful that Spring is not far off but I fear we must not anticipate any serious warm weather just yet. April sounds more promising.

Each year it seems that I discover a few major things. Turning points or lessons of sorts. I suppose I realize what I am to learn quite early on, just as everyone discusses their New Year's resolutions. I don't tease myself to go so far as to set resolutions but it seems that I have noticed a common trend throughout the recent years of "this is what I am to learn".
 

This year I feel that I am learning to not take anything for granted. Especially the things that I find to be the most fixed or that I hold most dear. For example, I like my days/time off and yet I've worked more in the past months than I ever have before. Also the dramatic news of my baby niece, who likely has Leigh's Disease. The list carries on... and it's only March. What will be next?
 

From this question I have made a simple and yet profound discovery. Something that probably most people of greater wisdom or age have long since understood:
It is not time that ages, but rather, it is loss.


Even the accumulation of wisdom and understanding. I used to perceive the acquisition of such things to be a great gain, but is it really just the loss of innocence? There is no earthly thing of which I may be certain or whereby I may obtain security.
My confidence and hope is only found in the Lord.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That last point is something I've been pondering of late.. Though this isn't really the same context I think this can be applied to this thought. For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. 1 Cor 2:2. Would you agree?

Caleb S.

Mary Ellen said...

Yes, indeed! That would fit quite well!

Court said...

That is very interesting Mary El, what you said, about not time aging but loss.. I can relate perhaps in the very smallest way (of course, what you are experiencing is different from what I have been through) but in any case, when I used to work a whole lot- and I didn't have any free time- I felt very old.. and very unsatisfied.. and then I quit and went back to school.. and all of a sudden again, I feel young-

So, I pray, that through these times, of working.. and waiting.. and praying (about your neice) you will find your comfort in God and know that when He restores you (because He will) you will feel once again perhaps that young feeling of renewal. :) I wish I could zoom up there and help you! I can't wait to visit you- it'll be so fun! :)

Mary Ellen said...

Your prayers are much appreciated, Courtney!! In spite of discovering that loss is what really seems to age us it's good to know that I am forever young in Christ(as are all of us saints)!! What a wonderful thing to know. What a curious thing that as time carries on, bringing us more loss and the ruin of our bones, we are fixed in eternity in our Saviour!!
I don't think any of us can judge someone elses loss and say it is less great than our own. We all have unique crosses to bear and we can all find relief in taking them to God in prayer. :)
Love you lots, Court!!!