Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mother's Day

I copied this pastel from the cover of a Christian magazine, Acts & Facts. The picture was of a lovely woman with an adoring child in her lap (both clothed in white) and a bouquet of bright flowers in hand. The background was an array of vibrant greens. Being so very warm and summery it caught my eye and so of course a sketch was in order.
To my joy the drawing came out pretty similar to the original. The only noticeable differences were in the woman's face. One of my little siblings concured with my sentiments that in my drawing her features had elements of my Aunt Judy and of my Grammy on my mom's side. I drew the lady's mouth smaller than that of the original picture. A lot of the people in my family have smaller mouths. Her eyes turned out different too. Just a number of little things like that.
It's funny that no matter how hard I'll try to accurately depict something my subconscious always inserts familiar things. I suppose that is exactly what makes art so incredible and exciting. Each work of art displays unique characteristics because each artist is influenced to some degree or another by their own unique life and experiences.



I know this is a little bit early since Mother's Day isn't 'till Sunday but I am planning on a rather busy weekend and probably won't get a chance to post about it later. Besides I'm always an advocate for starting to celebrate early. Sometimes holidays seem rather tedious, but Mother's and Father's day are quite worthwhile. What would we do without our blessed parents? Granted I am rather privileged to have the wonderful parents that I do. I could go on and on about just how awesome they are... but it would take a while so I'll refrain. I am especially glad that my mother loves and respects my father and that they make such a great team. ...and my mom is a hoot. ;) Quite a feisty woman. Some people would say she's a little too crazy but if you ask me that's exactly what my dad loves best about her.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you wonderful Moms!

Proverbs 31:28

Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.


No comments: