Monday, May 27, 2013

Mr. Glemp

As I sat at the table yesterday morning, drinking my bitter brew, I landed upon an article in The Economist. Appropriately placed at the end of the magazine I found an obituary for a fellow by the name of Jozef Glemp. Glemp? I had to set aside thoughts of Dr. Suess books that buzzed through my head and read on. Jozef Glemp was a cardinal in the Catholic church who became primate of Poland. He must have been a bit of a grouch or had some unlovely disposition because the narrator had not taken the time to season his words with salt and my coffee tasted less bitter in comparison to the words I was taking in. By the time I finished the reading I was taken aback by the unflattering words written about the man, however, I reasoned with myself that the truth is the truth and there must be a reason for this unsavory report.

Apparently Mr. Glemp was a bit of a fence straddler, or rather the sort of fellow who would try and keep an even keel at all costs. The obituary relayed one of Glemp's worst attempts at keel-keeping in a post WWII, 1989 Poland, "for his ""dear Jews"" also controlled the mass media and, being cleverer, ""took advantage"" of Poles." The article said, "His most useful qualities, though they won him few friends, were his lawyer's caution and his insistence on the middle ground. They led to the coining of a new verb, ""to glemp"", meaning to try to please both sides."

Finding a middle ground has both negative and positive aspects depending on how or when it is used and how often a person attempts create a middle ground. In my few years I have learned that a person who always calls for a compromise is often thought of as weak and/or is weak, and people aren't going to like or respect someone who doesn't have any backbone and who doesn't stick to one side of the fence.

On a side note: I grew sort of fond of this verb, "to glemp", and I could already hear it in my common discourse: glemping, glemps, glemper, glemped... etc. (at this point spell check officially hates me).

In the closing the obituary stated, "a man whose imagination, and horizons, were not big enough for the job the times thrust upon him."
My first thought was that I'd rather not have any recognition upon dying if the world can not find anything good to remark upon in the final words of my obituary. Is there no peace in rest?
Nevertheless I realized that the soul who drafted Mr. Glemp's obituary must have decided it would be best to err on the side of caution, either in a frank and unflattering report or in sweet sonnet, so as to not be accused of glemping himself. I found this to be rather comical and forgave the writer for his harsh biography.

I suppose it is a good thing I do not write obituaries, for I suppose I am a bit of a glemper myself. Prone to trying to keep the boat from rocking I am one of those people who has, at times, been accused of being weak, indecisive, kind to a fault, naive ...etc. As I have grown older I am rather glad for the morals my parents have instilled in me and even more thankful for the Word of God which is my solid rock and my backbone. Though I often find myself struggling with a situation I am always able to look to The Truth and let that be my guide and conscience. Just as you can hold money up to the light to discover whether it is real or counterfeit, I hold incoming information up to The Light and let that be my baseline to live and to glemp by. (John 1:4)

I suppose that this would appear to many people as a weakness in and of itself, that is the need for someone else to 'call the shots', but I know my weaknesses and I know my strengths. It is all about perspective, knowing when to call for compromise and knowing when to quit. Just as Mr. Glemp illustrated in his 1989 speech, finding middle grown can be done very poorly and really cause more harm than it's worth, but if it is done with wisdom and grace it can be a blessing to many. That being said, it is no surprise that glemping happens to be a double-edged sword for me, for it is both my greatest strength and my most debilitating weakness.

I spend my life trying to find a balance between the two. ;)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I should conclude then, that you ARE a glemp...?

Mary Ellen said...

I suppose I would consider myself to be a glemp when I'm out in society. A social glemp.
Otherwise, I have my standards and opinions and I glemp not. :)

...did I just glemp there?

Anonymous said...

Indeed, you did.
James 1:8

Anonymous said...

The social glemp = James 4:4

Mary Ellen said...

Hmmm... I especially like the first verse! Yes, indeed, to be double-minded is quite a problem.
I think you misunderstood what I meant by "social glemp". Let me clarify that I don't think it's wrong to bring peace or balance in a social setting, or in matters that are not serious. Romans 12:18
Like I said, I have standards and opinions and in a real matter of importance I will not be afraid to stand up for what the Truth of God's Word.
...if that is what you were intending to imply.
I am thankful that we have the mind of Christ.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...but does peace or balance for a believer work in the midst of a "social setting" with sin/compromise?? You can peacefully reprove someone who seems double minded. God has standards and opinions as well- Galatians 2:11-14 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed. For before that certain came from James he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision. And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation. But when I saw that they walked uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all,if thou,being a Jew livest after the manner of the Gentile and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?~ Peter glemped.

Mary Ellen said...

I am racking my brain to figure out what you're trying to say and why you are trying to say it.
I am very confused.

You seem to be continually trying to find fault with me. I know I have problems. I am a sinner and am not perfect. Still, you have yet to express anything kind about the things that I write. Makes me think of the saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." I appreciate your feedback, but am starting to wonder if you really care or if you're just trying to tear me down.

Romans 2:1
Romans 14:10-13
Psalm 50:20
1 John 2:11
1 John 4:20
Philemon 1:20
Proverbs 17:17
Ephesians 4:32
Colossians 3:12-17
Hebrews 13:1

Anonymous said...

It seems as though you are using unfair tactics, when we were obviously wondering that about your blogs.. you constantly seem to be writing, finding/copying blogs or hinting at other blogs that find fault with people..while here and there placing some in there that make good points and do have scriptural basis.

There is no intent to be mean, hateful, nor evil(as you hinted with the 1 John verses) toward you... That idea, "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all" has been on our minds a lot when reading some of your blogs. Maybe quietly attacking certain things/ people in a round-about way on your blogs without saying things directly is VERY confusing to others, and it might rack their brains as well. Isn't that fair? We just wonder if these blogs are meant for good or for secretly grudging against or tearing down others.. just trying to mention it's ok to question and sharpen.. and care enough to check things as believers.. Proverbs 27:15

When you wrote in your essay about Ralph Waldo Emerson that "nettle is therapeutic & reduces swelling" I thought about the fact that sometimes being swollen with pride takes a friend to ask the right Biblical questions. Don't discount a friend caring enough to check..Don't confuse God's Word- John 7:24-You have to confront fellow believers with the truth if you love them as brothers and sisters in Christ, don't overlook them.. and someone who fairly takes a stand against double talk and asks for clarity, shedding God's beautiful Light on things. :)

Anonymous said...

Also, in response to the 1 John verses you posted: Does it say that Paul "hated" Peter in the Galatians 2 example?
nope.

Mary Ellen said...

I am sorry that you find some of my blog posts to be offensive or indirectly aimed to cut people down. This is never my intention. I surely hope you are not taking anything I write personally.
...especially since you are only "Anonymous".
I am glad that you brought up the stinging nettle analogy. Like I said in that post, "I do not think that stinging nettle or five true words from a stranger would be as well accepted. A stranger can not provoke the depth of a person's soul to come forth like a friend can."
I have a number of friends. We don't always get along perfectly and when we have a problem or see our friend has some fault we correct each other. I might not like it if my friend rebukes me initially, but in the end it only makes me grateful to have someone who cares so much that they'd go out of their way to help me. That being said the times of rebuke are few compared to the times of rejoicing and fun. My friends and I do things together: write letters, text, email, call, go places and do things together. It's a two way street.
So far, all you do is rebuke me and you are no more than a stranger to me, "Anonymous". It may be different if you also made uplifting, encouraging comments on my other blog posts, but you don't.
We can fix this problem if you'd like. Call me. Text me. Write a letter. Be my friend. You accuse me of being indirect, but you aren't even willing to post your name.
Maybe it wouldn't seem so weird if I didn't feel like you were only on my blog to correct me.
(Normally people don't read a blog that they dislike. It would be a waste of their time. So forgive me if I get that impression but it's not something a friend would do or a brother/sister in Christ would do in Christian love.)

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't say it was just me who finds your blogs offensive(as you put it...) The internet is very public.
The truth is when you put something online that everyone can read.. ANYONE could be affected by it, obviously those directed to your blog... Even those humble who may not choose to use their name to defend themselves. Why should it matter who these people are? Maybe some of these people, in all fairness, want to protect themselves from being ill spoken of in a future blog entry.

The whole point of "glemping" from your blogs, is that you often change for certain people depending on what they have allowed in your relationships. Having said that, this is yet another reason chosen to be "Anonymous". I don't think it would help you, if you just knew how to act given the circumstance or audience.

Here's a simple analogy: Say you're driving down the freeway, and about a mile away you OBVIOUSLY see the cop parked in the median. You're GONNA quickly slow down to avoid being pulled over. However, the cop that is hidden behind a bush (who remains anonymous) causes you to keep your speed in check at all times. Obviously no specific person is the cop... The point is this: the cop in the analogy is the outcome of what you say... if you know who you're speaking to, you formulate your words to please that person. On the internet you don't know who will read what you say, the audience is whoever (much like the cop you cant see) Again, another reason for our remaining anonymous. Keeping sound speech(remaining the speed limit) regardless of who is listening, is walking in the Light(not having to worry about the cop[blog audience] behind the bush.
If anonymity seems wrong to you, check out how many places in the Bible God, in His humility, chooses to remain anonymous, and especially His angels who keep account of us which is for our own good(not to exalt myself as either).

I'm trying to encourage kindness, respect, love, and good works, and holiness in the fear of God. 2 Corinthians 7.. We could continue to discuss this, but this IS where I stand.

Mary Ellen said...

Well, hey, I'm glad you're standing up for what you believe and what you think is right. As they say, "you've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything"... especially in consideration of Eph. 4:14.

Thanks for watching my back, and keeping God in the forefront of your thoughts. May everything we say, write and do be to the praise and glory of God! :)

Peace bro,
Mary Ellen