Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Did you see what I saw?

My dear friend Courtney (also a fellow blogger) wrote in one of her recent posts of a gift her brother gave her: a musical saw. I'd never heard of such a thing, so I had to ask her what in the world a musical saw was!
She told me that, "It is a saw (like a handsaw for cutting wood) and you play on it with a violin bow!"

In disbelief I decided to search the web to see if it was just some inside joke or something, and low and behold it was a real thing!

If you don't believe me or if you're simply a fan of the musical saw yourself then you should check out this rather comical and yet amazing youtube video:



If you can make music with a saw, then there really must be no limitations to what you can make into a musical instrument!

On the note of interesting musical instruments, a very inspiring story is the one of Andy Mackie. You can read it on his website or watch the youtube video:



Life through Andy Mackie's eye's is a view that most people spend their whole life trying to find. He creates joy through the simplest gifts and no doubt spreads the love of music to millions of people around the world.

Therefore dear strum stick players, saw players, jaw harpists, yodelers, trash can beaters, and all you other musicians around the world.... a round of applause to you. ;)

2 comments:

~Courtney Jo~ said...

It is quite the fun thing to play! I should bring it up sometime. :)

Andy Mackie's story is so very inspiring and heart warming. Music is such a gift, and what a great thing to be able to share it with so many children. :) Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Britain got Talent was incredible!! That was amazing how he played the saw!! I love England!!