Monday, February 1, 2010

Openings

Life on the farm is always changing. Especially when it comes to the people we have working on the farm.

We've been expecting for some time that Daniel might move to Arizona. Ever since he got married there's been talk of moving. Of course with the economy and other obstacles, that never really happened.
Last night we (my parents and I) were talking with Daniel before he went out to milk and it is quite in their (Daniel and Jacqui's) plans to try and move to Arizona this spring if possible. That means there will be 6 milkings a week that will need to be filled.

Of course there are 14 milkings in a week. The cows must be milked once in the morning and once at night.

The real surprise, though, is Emily. She will be working for her old employer again (at a cleaning job) starting tomorrow which means she'll get to work with her husband. Eventually she's going to want to quit milking cows completely. Right now though there are 3 milkings of hers that my dad and I are going to have to take over. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings.

It's quite the curve ball, but I guess we should have know it would happen eventually. Hopefully, I will be able to pick up a lot of the slack. I know my dad will be looking for one or maybe even two new employees though. It's tough trying to make ends meet on a farm.

So before this week I milked 3 milkings. Both milkings on Saturday and also on Monday night (tonight I'll be milking the cows).
As of this week, and at least for the time being, I'll be milking Mon. p.m., Wed. a.m., Thurs. a.m. and Sat. p.m.

Life really is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're going to get. =)

No comments: