Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Elton

Every morning at a quarter to seven, the barn door slowly opens and in walks Elton. He'd had a friend make him a special walking cane that's handle looks just like a hand-held saw handle. He wears glasses, a ball cap (the type all farmers wear), leather boots, a buttoned & collared shirt with a stripped or plaid design and overalls. The coolest thing he wears however, is his smile and his enthusiasm for life. Though signs of age have grown on him you'd hardly be able to guess his age by his attitude.

I've been working at this dairy farm since last October and one thing that I can count on is seeing Elton every morning. I work for Ted and Corey, Elton's son and grandson and when I first got the job dealing with the grandfather wasn't something I'd expected to be part of my work routine. Getting used to the fast pace of their milking set up and learning the ins and outs was hard enough without having to visit with a stranger. I don't think Elton was too excited about me either. In spite of the "inconvenience" I always tried to be friendly and get to know him, and he tried to be nice and friendly with me. Don't get me wrong, he's the friendliest guy you'd ever want to meet.We'd greet each other, comment on the weather. He'd ask if Corey was around and I could usually tell he'd be disappointed to have me to talk to instead of his grandson. Then he'd say goodbye and leave the barn.

It was just hard to get anything more than the business of weather out of him. As the days turned into weeks, I realized that Elton wasn't going be an easy nut to crack and that it would take a little faithfulness on my part to get him to open up to me. I put in a little effort but it never seemed to make a huge difference. Every once in a while he'd come in and forget himself and tell me all about something exciting in his life. So eventually I came to look forward to him stopping by the barn each morning. I'd get to the point where I'd forget I was supposed to be milking the cows because I was chatting with Elton for a few minutes.

Last Fall, Elton and his wife celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. She'd been in the nursing home for 10 years with Alzheimer's and I'm not sure if she knew they'd made it to 60 years. It was a part of Elton's daily routine to go visit his wife. Talk about faithfulness. Well, she passed away a year ago, this past week. I was surprised at how well Elton took it, but I suppose she'd mentally been gone for a number of years already. One morning he asked me if I had any stocking caps, and by this I think he meant winter hats. It turned out he'd brought me a light blue winter hat with dark blue snowflake patterns. It had been his wife's hat. I felt like this was a huge honor that he would give me something that had been his beloved wife's.

After receiving this hat I decided I wanted to thank him in some way. His birthday came and he turned 88 years old. To do something special for him my mom, sister and I whipped up a little dish of lasagna for him (because I'd heard he was a fan of lasagna). He stopped in one morning, about a week after his birthday, and I snuck out and put the dish and a birthday card in his truck. Later that morning he returned to the barn (which is unusual) with a big grin on his face. He thanked me for the dish and it turned out he'd brought me another gift. It was some coats that had been his wife's! Almost a year after her death I suppose he'd decided it was time clean up the house. I felt extremely honored once again.

Yesterday morning, Elton came into the barn as always. We talked about the weather. As always I asked him if he had big plans for the day... to which he sort of grinned and said, "Oh no." He chatted with his grandson a bit about the latest small town gossip, crops, tractors, etc. Then before he left he let me know that he'd put a bag of clothes in my vehicle. Some more things that had been his wife's. I'm not sure why he's chosen to give some of her things to me and I don't dare ask. I take it as a huge honor. Though he's not my grandfather and I'm simply the milkmaid on the farm, it's a sort of sweet, unspoken friendship we have. It's these little, unexpected relationships in life that bring warmth to the long days and spontaneity to the rigid schedule. No words needed... just giving, sharing and being. The sort of person you never expect to meet and can't believe you'd missed out on knowing for so many years. It makes my heart full.


2 comments:

Court said...

That's a really sweet story Mary Ellen- well it doesn't take long for someone to fall in love with you! You're a wonderful person and blessing to all you meet! :)

Mary Ellen said...

Awww, hahah! Thanks Court! =D I don't know about that, but if you say so. ;)Maybe one of these days when you're up here you can meet Elton, and maybe one of these days when I'm down there I can meet your Lester. <3