Friday, June 29, 2007

The Scornful

Take one moment and grab a dictionary. Look up the word scorn, scorner, scorneth etc. In the Bible you find a lot of verses that talk about someone or something being "laughed to scorn." This is the definition of scorn that I came up with...
–noun
1. open or unqualified contempt; disdain: His face and attitude showed the scorn he felt.
2. an object of derision or contempt.
3. a derisive or contemptuous action or speech. –verb (used with object)
4. to treat or regard with contempt or disdain: They scorned the old beggar.
5. to reject, refuse, or ignore with contempt or disdain: She scorned my help.

–verb (used without object)
6. to mock; jeer. —Idiom
7. laugh to scorn, to ridicule; deride: Her good advice was laughed to scorn.


So I was looking at a bunch of the verses that talked about scorn in the Bible and from what it sounds like, or maybe I should say... as you can tell, scorn is not a good thing.
Here are some of the verses that I found:

Proverbs 1:22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?

Proverbs 22:10 Cast out the scorner, and contention shall go out; yea, strife and reproach shall cease.

Here are some other verses you can look up for yourself if you feel the urge:
Proverbs 13:1
Prov. 19:25
Prov. 21:23-24
Prov. 29:8
Psalm 1:1

Well that was a random subject and I don't know what made me think of it but that's just part of my randomness. =D TTYL!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I hope I don't get scorned too much. ; )