Thursday, January 4, 2018

All Things New

It's January. It's a new year. And I'm a new mom. Well... the kid isn't hatched yet; we're still in the brewing stage.

 With (most of) my family on Christmas Day

 Jeff and I laughed at how different things were last New Years holiday. Back when he first asked my Dad for permission to court me on New Year's Eve. The humorous part was that my dad gave Jeff the green light and the next day my parents had a conversation with the two of us, as well as announcing to our church that Jeff and I were in a relationship... and all this time I had no clue that Jeff had talked to my dad or that my dad gave him permission. Of course, I assumed my parents were okay with Jeff because of their actions. Rather, I was worried that they were just assuming things without Jeff actually wanting things to progress in such a manner! I was worried Jeff thought it was all too much or too fast. It wasn't until after church on New Years Day on our drive home that Jeff told me of his conversation with my dad. What a relief!

  Jeff and I, last year on my birthday.
I'm still wearing that coat but it's extra snug across my belly!

Now here we are a year later, just about to hit the 6 month mark of our marriage and expecting a baby into our home, due sometime in April. I've gotten to know more about Jeff each day and am delighted at what a strong leader he is. He prays with me before our meals, he spends time in the Word of God and is always working at learning or reading something new. He's not the kind of guy to sit around and waste his time, and the few occasions that he does take it easy it's always well deserved. He makes me want to follow in his shoes and continue learning new things each day. It's enjoyable to know that on top of having a team mate to help pull through all of the daily chores and responsibilities I also have a friend.

This picture was also taken Christmas Day.
My brother Channing and his wife, Rachel are expecting in February. 
Rachel and I are only 9 weeks apart!

As for growing a baby, it's a curious and exciting process. To watch as my body changes in fascinating and sometimes not so glamorous ways, knowing that in all of this a new little life is maturing in my womb. It's weird at the same time. I look down at this large lump of a belly at times and feel like an egg. A giant woman, human egg. The baby has been growing stronger each week. Ever since week 19 I've been able to feel it kick and lately it's kicks are so strong you can see it jumping around rather than just feel it. My belly looks like one of those energizer bunny commercials where the bunny is bouncing inside of the battery! It's quite startling at times, really, but I love it! And baby gets especially active when there's music or when daddy talks or sings. It makes my heart full with joy. We don't intend to find out the gender so it'll be the best surprise Jeff and I have ever experienced.  We do have names picked out though... which we formed partially from long time family name traditions.

 
 Jeff and I visited his family just this past week!
This picture was taken after an exciting escape room adventure.

It's an exciting new year full of new adventures. I can barely imagine having a little baby to care for each and every day. It still seems unreal to me. This will be a big, challenging and wonderful time for Jeff and I. 2018 is already full of so much wonder and it's only just begun.

No comments: