Saturday, December 3, 2016

When It's Hard To Say Sorry

Not all events are appropriate for blogging about. Let's just say this week started out on a rough note. I came down with a cold, there were some temporary vehicle issues and so-on. One or two issues aren't so difficult to deal with but when there are several it seems to be enough to tip the scales of insanity. What started out as an average Monday turned into a manic Monday and I got caught up in the worries of the day. 

Talking to Courtney is always a relief. She understands the craziness of what happens to a woman's mind when worry sets in (which reminds me of Mark Gungor's hilarious description of how men and women think differently in The Tale of Two Brains). A phone conversation left us laughing at our mishaps. I think Mark Twain was onto something when he said, "The secret source of humor is not joy but sorrow; there is no humor in heaven." 

My biggest problem was really that I had let my emotions run away with me. Whether it was exhaustion or other circumstances that caused my trouble, there wasn't much of an excuse and I needed to apologize to the offended parties involved. I returned to the situation still thinking I wasn't in the wrong. That the fault of the situation wasn't mine. I knew I wasn't going to make it very far with this attitude though and in asking for God's help to face the situation a verse I'd learned as a child came to mind.

Ephesians 4:31-32, "Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."


Proverbs 21:2 says, "Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts." I certainly thought I was right in this situation but I decided to just try it God's way. Even though it seemed dumb to apologize to someone who I thought didn't deserve an apology.

Then with forgiveness, came understanding... and a softer heart. In forgiving the other person it removed the big obstacle of pride and they apologized as well. I could see my mistakes and we were able to work on rectifying the problem. God's way takes faith. It doesn't always immediately make sense to do things His way but it says in Psalm 18:30, "
As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him." 
...and in Proverbs 2:6-8, "For the Lord giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding. He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly. He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of his saints."

Sometimes I just need to be reminded to yield to the Spirit of God. Letting Him work through my life creates such better results than when I try to accomplish things in my own strength.
Galatians 5:22-23 pretty much sums up my week:
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

No comments: