Thursday, January 2, 2014

Chicken Milk

"DID YOU KNOW that "egg nog" in French is "lait de poule", which literally means "chicken milk"? This changes everything." - Josh Gross


For the past couple of years I have tried to make eggnog with little success. It's not that the stuff didn't taste good, but each trial I'd hoped for a thicker drink and it never got beyond a milky consistency with the whipped cream floating on the top.

A lot of folks don't exactly like the thickness of the eggnog they buy at the store. I know I always dilute mine down with milk or coffee. I mean, lets be honest, ...it's more like drinking some high fructose corn syrup with eggnog flavor.

What I've been aiming for was something between milk and guar gum. 


This Christmas season my family kept asking me to make eggnog and I kept putting it off. A lack of time due to work made for a good excuse but I think the real reason was simply a lack of success in the previous years. Yesterday we had the extended family over for a little New Years Day celebration and I got out the ole' KitchenAid, but this time I had a new plan. ....and it worked!!!! =D Eggnog was easy to make, it tasted good AND it had a thicker texture as well!!! Everyone loved it!

Here's the recipe:


4 eggs
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 pint whipping cream
1/2 gallon whole milk

Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Set whites aside. In mixer bowl beat egg yolks at high speed for 5 minutes. Add granulated sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Beat for another 2 minutes. Remove to a different bowl and set aside. In mixer bowl (doesn't need to be cleaned between steps) beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites. Slowly fold in whipping cream and milk. Pour eggnog into a pitcher and serve immediately as nutmeg will settle to bottom of container. A dash of nutmeg to each serving of eggnog is also enjoyable. Enjoy!

P.S. this recipe is easy to change up. More or less eggs... different types of sugar (I've tried maple syrup and honey before)... some people enjoy a little rum or bourbon in their eggnog... have fun and experiment around!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooooh yummy!! :)
~ Brittany Elizabeth

Mary Ellen said...

You should seriously make some, Woman! =D It's delish!!

Anonymous said...

I've never had eggnog from the store, Mom started making it this year and it is awesome! I hear it's been rather cool there of late?!

Caleb Steven