Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Church

About a week ago I was reading The Economist magazine, as I often do, and an article about the fighting between the Christians and Muslims in Egypt caught my attention and with the article was a single picture of a destroyed church.

At first glace the picture looked like it would be too dark for my taste in art or too tedious to draw, but it intrigued me so at work I went staying up too late a few too many nights laying the dark pastel colors on a white page and getting my white skin covered as well in the process. (washing up after working with pastels was always amusing: I usually had dark streaks all over my face and my arms looked either bruised or entirely blackened!)

I'm not sure if it was the eery elegance of the cathedral that inspired me to draw the picture or the story behind it:
The picture the magazine has supplied was of a recently built Coptic Church that had been even more recently destroyed by Muslims. The Muslims were apparently provoked by some deed of the Christians... or was it the Christians who were provoked first by some action of the Muslims...???
I'm not any expert on the dynamics of the fighting between the Muslims and Christians on the other side of the world but I do know that neither side is innocent in matters of keeping the peace or turning the other cheek. It seems to be more of an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth system out there? I cannot say for sure though.
Still, looking at the dark and dusty, ash-ridden ruins of a cathedral brought to mind verses from the Bible.

Matthew 16:18, And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

(A common misunderstanding of the verse above, especially misunderstood and misused by the Catholic Church, is that Peter is the rock but really it is Jesus Christ who is the rock.)
Although we Christians often meet in a building, or a house the real temple of God is the church the body of Christ. (1 Cor. 3:11, For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.)
Therefore it is no surprise when we read in chapters like 1 Corinthians 3 that we are God's building simply by the fact that the church is the body of Christ and we are a part of Jesus Christ for we are indwelt by Him.

1 Corinthians 3:9, For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.

1 Corinthians 3:16, Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

1 Corinthians3:23, And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.

It is sad to see Christians persecuted (no matter what denomination of Christianity they label themselves as),  but I am also reminded of the comforting words of Romans 8:35-39, Romans 12:9-21 and especially 2 Corinthians 4...
 

We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; 
we are perplexed, but not in despair;
Persecuted, but not forsaken; 
cast down, but not destroyed...

For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, 
worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; 

For God, 
who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, 
hath shined in our hearts, 
to give the light of the knowledge of 
the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Therefore seeing we have this ministry, 
as we have received mercy, 
we faint not...

No comments: