Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Cutting Edge

Yesterday some guy brought my parents a deer. It was a huge buck apparently, that was from one of those deer farms. It was corn fed all it's life so we're thinking that it's going to taste pretty good. 
Anyway, today we've spent hours cutting the meat off the carcass and the sinew off the meat. We might turn some of it into jerky, sausage and hamburger.  We'll probably can some of it too. We saved the fat because we have a friend that uses deer tallow to make soap... so that way we'll have some soap to use as well!
It's quite a tedious job, cutting up a deer though. ...it is hard, but worth it in the end. 

I've also started some sewing projects. Cold weather always inspires me to create things. I don't know if it's because I'm cooped up inside all day.... but I always get an urge. So I've pulled my crocheting off the shelf and old sewing projects out of the sewing pile. 
I'd like to finish crocheting a hat and some mittens and slippers that I started last year. 
As far as sewing goes I have a quilt to finish (that I started in '05!!) and a dress (in the fashion of 1830's style.. a.k.a like in Pride and Prejudice) and my newest project!!! I've taken two pairs of pants and I'm turning on into a long skirt and one into a shorter skirt. I chopped the legs off of one pair to make the long skirt full. Then I'm going to sew some skirt from other material onto the short shorts. I'm sure that sounds confusing but I'll post some pictures so that you can see what I mean!!!

Now.... I am off to go milk one hundred and something cows for 3 plus hours in the frigid, moonlit night. If you're bored or you're just looking for a good time you're welcome to come join me. There's nothing like milking cows. =)
Until next time.....

1 comment:

~Courtney Jo~ said...

Wow! I didn't ever think you could make so many things out of one buck! Have you used soap made from deer tallow before? Is it cleansing? :D

There is something about that fresh, cold weather that brings creativity out of people, isn't there?! :) It sounds like you have some fabulous projects going on! I'll look forward to seeing them. That yellow crocheted hat you made was so adorable! Kudos to you for no pattern! The only place I get without a pattern is in a circle or in a straight line! :D lol!

Well darlin! I sure would join you to milk those cows, I'm thinking November still. Tell me when you think would be a okie doke time!
:)