Tuesday, April 10, 2018

With Great Anticipation

Only two days until my due date.... the big 40 week mark! Not that that means much. Babies come when they will and no gestational predictor or assigned date will urge them to come any sooner or later than they choose. My friends are already asking daily how I'm doing hoping to hear some news. Yet, I've been telling everyone all along that I don't think this baby is going to come early. In fact I suspect it will come "late". This may horrify you, but a lot of babies go over due and actually setting a due day by using a cow's gestational time table is much more accurate. Not always... but sometimes. When my sister had her first baby my dad used the "cow calendar" to suggest the baby would be born on June 30th. Baby came at 11pm that very day... and supposedly over due by human gestational standards. So my "cow due date" is the 23rd. I guess we'll see what happens. My husband doesn't think it's possible for my belly to grow any bigger so every day he says he thinks baby will come tomorrow. That's a fairly safe guess as eventually he'll be right!

Who knows if I'll be prepared enough. This past week was so busy and I really felt worn out by the end of it all. Not surprisingly, I've started to experience swollen ankles and feet. Not by a lot but enough swelling to necessitate sitting down and propping my feet up more often. Baby hasn't dropped yet and is still spending a good deal of time nestled under my ribs. Not very comfortable, especially after a meal!

Jeff and I are really looking forward to our little one's arrival. After nine months I can still barely grasp that we're going to have our very own child. I don't think the reality of it all will set in until I'm holding our little squirmy baby in my arms. No doubt once I've changed more diapers than I've seen in years, or can't pass it off to it's mom when it starts crying it'll really set in. I'm looking forward to it all though and am excited about this new stage of motherhood. I almost feel more like an on-looker watching as I'm swept away by the tides of life into this new experience. That's probably why they tell you not to blink in life because it all goes by too quickly. This first pregnancy has really breezed by and I can only imagine how fast the first year of my child's life will zip past. I'll try my best to savour every little moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're going to be such a good mama. I can't wait to watch.