Wednesday, July 1, 2015

When I can't speak it, I can write it.

Never in my life have I been great at speaking about serious matters. I'm kind of hot headed and either say nothing or get all fiery about things that require a lot of logic or emotion. Mostly because I have trouble putting my thoughts into words... which is why I love to write. I learned that if I can bypass my mouth, where my tongue gets all twisted and my face gets all red, the words can flow smoothly from my hands and I can make a blank page turn black in a matter of minutes.

When the opportunity to write for a local paper came up I looked into it and, in spite of my feelings of inadequacy, applied for the position. Writing in a journal.... no one sees that. Writing on a blog... few people read it and those who do are usually friends or relatives. To write in a paper where strangers have the ability to critique my work was a daunting prospect... and yet, exciting all the while.

Initially the paper was looking for someone from the homeschool community to write about homeschool events, etc. I replied too late and another fellow (whom I went to choir with during my years in school) got the spot. I offered my services as a journalist and to my surprise the editor took me up on my proposal! I was happy to have missed the first opportunity because honestly, I probably wouldn't have like being limited to writing about homeschooling. I have the freedom to write about whatever I choose, so long as the editor approves.

Thus far I have written four articles, "The First of April" - regarding the problems with April Fools Day pranks, "Roots" - about cultural legacies that are passed down through generations, "Our Farmers - Our Future: Celebrating National Dairy Month" - on the importance of the dairy industry, and "Why Movement Matters" - because being a couch potato just won't cut it anymore.

The paper produces an edition once a month and all of the journalist write on a volunteer basis. I've been offering an article since March of this year.... and it's been both invigorating and challenging to attempt to write articles worthy of the eyes of my community.

One of the things I'd always felt I'd struggle with, should I go to college, was producing long writing assignments and reports. Yet, for the paper, I am limited to 800 words or less.... and I often find myself needing to cut out a couple paragraphs before sending the final copy to the editor. It's good though, as the restriction allows me to say only what I mean.... and mean what I say. Luckily, I have my mom's help with editing my horrifying spelling and grammar and I also have my grandmothers opinions on occasion. They all have an impeccable taste for grammar and writing structure.

The paper that I write for is highly conservative and though it is not a Christian paper per say, it is run by Christians, so it is acceptable to mention a Bible passage or concept on occasion, which makes me glad.


Check out the website: The US and Eau Claire Journal

Though the paper does print a free edition on occasion it is a subscription that you have to pay for if you want to enjoy it in it's entirety. If you're interested in receiving the paper in your email or mailbox visit their subscription page. For the full 12 month package of the hard copies plus an e-subscription it's only $39.  There are cheaper rates for partial deals... not bad rates, if you ask me.


 Photo by Kacey Harasimowicz

I wish I could post every article that I write on my blog but that would defeat the purpose of writing for the paper, I suppose. That being said, I am going to share my most recent article, "Why Movement Matters", which was published in the free edition and therefore does not subtract from the paper. Note the amazing photo of beautiful, green leaves taken by my friend, Kacey. I am so thrilled that she contributed one of her incredible works to my article (though one of the downsides to photos that are printed in papers is that they are not as vibrant and clear as they should be). My writing skills have a long way to go and I am far from being an accomplished writer, but I hope that this opportunity to write for the public will speed me on my way. "Why Movement Matters" is not necessarily my most interesting article but I had fun learning about the topic and writing about it as well.
I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

1 comment:

Court said...

Thank you for sharing your newspaper article. That's totally awesome:) And also the website that you write for!