Monday, June 1, 2015

An Article That Hit's Home.

Sex and the Single Woman

"Nothing makes God look as beautiful as when we, who have tasted his goodness, would use our lives to testify that we will forego any momentary joy in order to taste more of him."
- Fabienne Harford

This article was very excellent. It was especially interesting because it was written from the perspective of someone who's been-there-done-that but who gave up sexual intimacy for the season of singleness. It's truthful and open; showing that it may be hard to walk the straight and narrow but it's well worth the struggle.

I suppose I find it to be particularly interesting because I have not "been-there-done-that." The author of the article writes that it was a big deal when she accepted Jesus Christ as her savior and decided to follow him with her actions... it didn't sit well with her friends and family. For me, having growing up with a solid instructions on how to live a godly life and having accepted Christ as my savior at a young ages, sexual purity has still been a struggle but not the same as it seems it is for those who've experience the other side of the fence. I suppose it's not even the same as some of my fellow Christian's feelings of desire.

Yes, I want to experience that relationship. At some point. Some day. Eventually. Maybe....
IF it ever happens.


I've always liked boys well enough but I wasn't the sort of girl who's favorite color was pink... if you get what I mean. I've never been a girly girl. I preferred dressing in camo and romping around with the boys in the woods. Growing into a lady has been a challenge. One I still deal with. All that to say, I was never the girl who had my wedding planned out at age 9. Yet, I always assumed I'd be married by the time I turned 18. Maybe even younger if I was lucky... 19 was getting married pretty old though. I smile now when I think of how much I've grown up since that point in my life and how unprepared I would have been... and still am in many ways, for marriage.

At this point in my life I've pretty much resigned myself to singleness. Note, that I didn't not add loneliness to the singleness as Ive heard many of my fellow believers do. Or even the word 'pain' as Harford used frequently in her article. I've heard many gals speak of tears... so many tears over their singleness. Maybe I'll get to that point someday. I won't leave it out of the range of possibilities... but I don't feel hurt, abandoned or lonely. I feel full. It's just that I  know that there is an even greater fullness that I have not experience... that I probably can't even grasp in my mind, as Brad Paisley describes in his song, "I Though I Loved You Then". The fullness of a friendship with your best friend/husband. The fullness of having your own babies and watching them grow. The fullness of the responsibilities of a wife and mother. It's just a distant and different world. Alien.

It's just that I've finally learned that there is more to life than getting married. That being single just as much of a blessing as the married life. That God can use me where ever I'm at, in any state. That waiting for sexual intimacy is worthwhile. That above all I am never alone and God has provided me with more blessings that my fair share. I have tasted His goodness.... 

O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.
-Psalm 34:8

2 comments:

Court said...

Totally, totally~!!!! :) Being Single is like adventuring with many! :) You get to explore all facets of the world and of people!!! :) You get to dream big, and help a lot of people.:) Guess you just got to wait until you find the one that won't make you bored for the rest of your life and that loves you and God :) hehe. That's most important!!!

Love you Mary El!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary Ellen said...

Yes, yes! Exactly, Court! =D God made us single first, and for a reason. There's so much to learn and do that it's a full time job!! I really like how you put that... "the one that won't make you bored for the rest of your life and that loves you and God." Isn't that really about it?! :)