Thursday, January 15, 2015

Born for Adversity

Someone once said, "Show me your friends and I'll show you your future." Well, I can't see the future but if I can judge what's to come in life by the quality of the friends I have then I need not worry.

The number of people who have reached out in response to my family's change of circumstances has been incredible. So many folks have reached out in encouragement, sympathy, empathy and hope for our future. It is hard to lose something you love... but it is never so difficult when you know there are so many people who are right there, ready to share your burdens.

Some days, when grief has taken it's toll, it is easy to forget how much help it is to have friends. What a beautiful thing friendship is. In this world it is easy to become distracted in the day to day plans, disconnected in the frenzy and leave those around us to worry about their own problems... while we drown in ours.
And yet I have been touched by the comments and messages and words from so many friends. It only reminds me that I am not alone in my struggles.

In fact, just knowing this relieves the load immensely.

I suppose after God designed the family unit and the relationships therein, he knew that there was one more aspect that mankind would need, to carry on through the tests of life: friendship.

It lightens the heart to know that one is not left to wade through the mire of change alone.

I've written on the subject of friendship a number of times in previous blog posts, but I'd like to take this opportunity to simply thank my friends... just for being my friends. I am so blessed. It is an honor and privilege that I do not feel worthy of, to have such wonderful friends as you all. I appreciate your companionship, your kindness, your support and encouragement.

Thank you.

Proverbs 17:17
A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

No comments: