Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Lend Me A Hand?

 A sketch I did while working through the book, 
Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

 Another DTRSB sketch


I saw a picture that demonstrated how JC Leyendecker painted hands/flesh. David Darrow, a painter who posted the photo on facebook said of it, "...it shows how Leyendecker started with a fairly slick, neutral half-tone gray (not middle gray; lighter) base. This appears to have had the effect of solving many mid-tone issues as he added pigment, while reducing the need for light half-tones. Highlights POP from it."

I got excited by the concept and decided to try it for myself. It was the first time I'd ever added color to one of my 'fleshly' drawings.... and therefore it was incredibly fun!!! Such a task might seem elementary to an experienced artist but it was quite a break-through/Eurika moment for me. 
Unfortunately this copy of my pastel turned out a bit yellow due to the lighting that I took the picture in.  The original has more of a pasty grey tone.

The funny part:
After completing the drawing I had the picture sitting out on my desk. In the course of the next few days there were a number of times when I was in need of a writing utensil and tried to grab the pencil from the drawing!!!!!

No comments: