Sunday, November 4, 2012

Friendship

It's November already. Crazy how the time flies! ....and yet, at the same time the past two weeks couldn't have felt longer. An eternity could have passed because the days felt so long. 

I have been thinking a lot about friendship. Old friends, that is, true friends are such a blessing. I've had a lot of friends and acquaintances all of my life, for which I feel so blessed and am always thankful. As I have grown up my friendships have matured or diminished away and the whole meaning of what a friend is has transformed. 
When I was a child a friend was someone that I played with frequently. In fact I hardly considered someone to be a close friend if we didn't do fun things often and if we didn't become "buddy-buddy." 
 Now I understand a friend to be someone whom you might see all of the time... or once a year... or once every five years... or whom may live next door or miles and miles away. You know a friend is true when no matter when you see them or get together you can instantly feel at ease and safe because you share the same goals, the same principles and morals, the same blessed hope. I can't even explain the depth of a true friend but it is something that I look forward to discovering throughout my entire life.
It seems that the days just gets busier as I get older, which scares me because life already seems overwhelming. How did I ever find the time to have so much "fun"?!!! For as much as childhood was a sweet time I am very glad to have found more substance in friendship. I thank God especially for all of my true friends.

This thought on old friends also made me realize something about new friends or people that we have just met: Maybe getting to know someone new is such a pleasurable experience because we hope that they too could become another one of our dear, sweet, old friends.


Proverbs 17:17   
A friend loveth at all times, and 
a brother is born for adversity.

No comments: