Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Unearthly

As I stood watching from the door, I had never seen anything so unearthly before. Like out of a movie the red sky behind the treeline, behind even the clouds made me feel small. Like there was, millions of miles away, a huge galaxy that I was catching a glimpse of through the window of this blood red sunset.
I felt minute and vulnerable as I beheld layers of atmosphere with my bare, fleshly eye. The expanse of a vastness I had never comprehended fully was taking hold of my senses as if beyond this vast depth of awesome space, normally concealed by a mask of blue sky, a shroud of clouds or dark night, lay the true reality.
I inhaled a breath of air as if to see if I was really in this world.
The finite, mortal confines of my mind accepted this test, but deep down my spirit marveled at how truly real and majestic it's Creator is.
Lightning over my head flashed and thunder shook the clouds in it's wake, like it was testifying that even the power of the air could be divided, and for a moment my soul soared with my spirit at the knowledge that it was a part of something bigger, something greater.
Before my brain could remind me that my feet were on the ground and bind my heart in earthly fear, I truly understood that I was a spiritual creature living out a physical experience.
I felt like I was in a StarWars movie, in a spaceship. That feeling you know every astronaut must get as he looks and sees the earth he's left behind him.
Then I realized once again where I was at and turned back to my work. My eyes blinked as if to find their bearings. The feeling that a body gets after a long flight. Jet lag. Trying to catch up to reality.
Rain and wind surged through open windows. Outside I saw the foliage twisting in the wind.
If ever there had been a magnificent sight the night had covered it in an oppressive darkness and with such fury the wind blew as though to get rid of any remaining evidence.
In punishment the wind relentlessly wailed upon the earth.
Truant strokes of lightning crossed the sky as I went out to bring the last few cows into the barn to be milked. I took note that, for once, my parents have turned on every light on the first level of the house; even the back porch light for good measure. Since I had fully regained my physical senses I was grateful knowing there would be light to guide me home.
A sigh escaped my lips as I turned back to my job. 
Back to earth, still looking for that blessed hope.

Titus 2:13

4 comments:

Crandall said...

Wow! This is absolutely beautiful! You describe it so well. It isn't often that writing transports me that immensely, but this certainly did.

Mary Ellen said...

Thanks Nate!!! =D I actually didn't post it for a long time because I figured no one would be able to understand/relate. I'm glad I was wrong!

Heather Sharpe said...

This was one of the most beautiful things I have read in such a long time. I was there! I've experienced things like that many times - the majesty of God and His creation, and my own smallness - but I could never put it into words like that. That was beautiful, thank you for sharing such a powerful moment! THAT is exactly why I am a country girl. Our senses were not meant to absorb city lights like they were meant to absorb an open sky. <3

Mary Ellen said...

Thank you Heather!! =D I wish it was possible to take pictures of such visions, but as we all know a picture can't even compare.
Oh man, I know! Gals like you and me definitely need a little extra space to breath and see, in awe, God's creation with our naked eyes!