Thursday, April 12, 2012

Simply Marvelous

We celebrated Easter on Monday and my parents, siblings, niece & nephew and two of my grandparents had a very nice dinner together. We had boiled dinner (which is traditionally a St. Patrick's day meal) and I decided to try making a new dessert: Meringue Marvel.


The "cake" part consisted of a dozen egg whites, arrowroot powder, vanilla extract, sucanat. I didn't read the recipe before starting and my sister Emily was helping out and discovered that the meringue mixture was supposed to bake for TWELVE hours at 150 degrees!!! We didn't have twelve hours so we turned up the temp to 200 and cooked it for 7 hours instead. It worked out fine.... however I can't say it worked out better than the lower temp/longer cook time as it is the first time I've cooked meringue. 


Then I whipped cream for the middle. I didn't add any sugar (which I normally do when making whipped cream). I shaved some bakers chocolate into little pieces and then staked it all together.When putting the chocolate pieces on the top layer I was originally going to make a design but I had lots of chocolate left over and decided to just cover the whole top. 


Meringue, whipped cream, chocolate pieces, a sprinkle of peach brandy, meringue, whipped cream... etc.


It looked awesome and it tasted AMAZING. It wasn't too sweet but it wasn't bland either! Perfection at it's best. We also cooked some berries on the stove and drizzled that atop our fluffy slices of marvelous meringue. It was heavenly.




No comments: