Thursday, March 9, 2017

New Beginnings

It seems like so much change has happened in such a short time. This year has been turbulent but not in an unpleasant way. Starting a new relationship, quitting a job, watching a new marriage beginning, starting a new job, working on old goals, beginning some new plans for the future. It's a wild year. Last year felt really routine and like not much changed so I suppose it shouldn't be surprising that this year is full of growth spurts.

Working in long term care has been a neat experience. At times it's just as fast paced as working in the barn. Instead of 6 milkers ready to switch at once it's 6 call lights going off at once. I'm enjoying the challenge. The first few days of work were a bit stressful... not because it was hard but because I wasn't allowed to do anything. Because I haven't taken my state exam there was some miscommunication about my ability to work so the other CNA's would have me just shadow them. Quite literally. All I could do was stand around and watch while they worked. To make it worse there seems to be a shortage of employees and the demands of the facility are growing so my help was clearly needed. Luckily I talked to the DON and learned that I was actually able to work legally, provided I'm working 40 hours a week. I'm glad for this because when I'm at work I've been taught you work and work hard. So now it's a matter of learning the system and the order of things at this home. It's like juggling because I must learn each resident's individual personalities and needs, learn each co-worker's individual personality and work style and also balance this with the rules and order of the work place. So far I'm enjoying it quite a bit in spite of the learning curve.

It's gratifying work though, and so many of the residents will thank you profusely when you've done them the simplest favor. Last night I helped one lady find her room and pajamas. She's fairly independent but slightly confused and she said she'd really enjoy a glass of milk. Well that's exactly the thing to ask a milkmaid like myself, and how could you refuse a gal a glass of milk? So I got her one and she was so overjoyed she hugged me! It was so very sweet.

The day is almost half over already and I still have yet to shower. Working PM's is a rough change from waking up at 5:30 and going to bed at 9:30. My body is still waking up at 6:30 even though I'm going to bed at 11:30 most nights. I suppose it will all become more natural the longer I work this shift.  Anyway, I'm off to do something productive.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The sweet ladies that worked at both my grandma's care homes made a big impact. Don't underestimate something like a glass of milk! :) :)