Monday, September 24, 2012

A Frivolous Fop

I was browsing through an old dictionary and stumbled upon the word "dude." Curious to see what the definition was back before it meant you were cool I read in confusion, "a fop." What in the world is a fop?! I wondered. A fop turned out to be an "over dressed man." or according to The Free Dictionary, "A man who is preoccupied with and often vain about his clothes and manners; a dandy."
I imagined a  very sharp fellow from the 1920's dressed in an expensive suit, hat, shined leather shoes, a cane in one hand and a pocket watch in the other. Perhaps he had a good reason to be dressed up on any other given day... but this day he does not (because I say so) and is therefore rather frivolous. 
"A frivolous fop."
The phrase was stuck in my head. Mulling it around, trying it with other words, twisting it into a rhyme.... until one night Sally's Dandy was brought forth!

A Mr. Wickham sort of chap, with more care for fun at the expense of others than what harm his selfish pleasures and ill will might bring upon those whom he chooses to toy with.

Of course my ink and pen, feeling somewhat neglected, called my name. With a style inspired by a phrase carved onto a barn in 1863 it was terrifically exciting to write the swirling letters onto a blank, lined page.

(For an easier read this poem may also be found here: Sally's Dandy)


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading Louisa May Alcott lately, and your description of a fop could be one of her "vain, silly boys" down to the pocket watch. Especially when they are trying to impress a young lady!

Mary Ellen said...

Oh, that is great! Haha! I guess the boys from Louisa May Alcott's time weren't wholly different from the fellas today. Except, exchange the fob and watch for an iPhone 5. ;)