Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Inspiration

I posted my midnight tower sketch on facebook and a friend left a comment saying that it, "...looks like something out of a Poe novel or Sherlock Holmes."
My inspiration was really from the song, "Kiss From a Rose," by Seal

 "There used to be a graying tower alone on the sea.
You became the light on the dark side of me...."



Nevertheless, when my friend mentioned Poe it made me wonder. I recently read two poems that Poe wrote. They were titled, "Annabel Lee" and "City in the Sea." Although I do not enjoy Poe's literature very much (the darkness of his work and of his life aren't appealing to me) and I was thinking of the song when I was inspired to create the picture, I can't help but wonder if subconsciously I was inspired or influenced by Edgar Allen Poe's poems. 

I don't think there is any way to really discover the answer to such a pondering. The subconscious is an intriguing mystery to me.

2 comments:

david meyer said...

"the darkness of his work and of his life aren't appealing to me"

They were/are to me!

Can you guess where I got the name for my firstborn? I love that poem.

Mary Ellen said...

Really?! That's cool, though. I think his stuff is very gripping... but it's also just so depressing.
Most people can probably handle Poe better than me. I'm more of a rainbows and butterflies type of person. lol ;)

Sweet! I never knew that Annabel's name was inspired by EAP's poetry. =)