Monday, November 29, 2010

What Betty Didn't Tell You

I have discovered through quite a bit of experience that there are simple tricks that make pie crust come out nicely every time you make it (for those of us who don't buy it at the store).

This is my version of the pie crust recipe out of the Betty Crocker cookbook.

Pie Crust:
1 cup of all purpose flour
1 cup of whole wheat flour
2/3 cup of butter
a couple shakes of salt
7 tablespoons of water

The do's and don't's...
- never use all white or wheat flour
(or any flour made out of garbanzo beans! o.k. that was a bit of an inside joke!!)
- 2/3 cup of butter is the same as 12 tablespoons.
- never, never use melted butter! In fact if your butter is frozen you can simply shred it with a cheese grater. It's fast and easy.
-you'll have to flour your rolling surface well and often when rolling out your crust or else it will stick.

3 comments:

~Courtney Jo~ said...

Ooo! I like this! Have you ever had any problems with this recipe?
I actually had a little trouble with a few pie crust recipes this year. I tried a crust made with oil and it turned out good once- but not the second time. I also tried one with shortening which is a little taxing to make, but it turns out fairly well. I don't care to use shortening because of the high amounts of saturated fats.

The next time I make a pie, I am going to use your crust recipe and see how it works! ;)
Do you know why you shouldn't use all wheat flour or all white flour?

Great post!! :D I love recipes!

~Courtney Jo~ said...

Question>> When you roll out your dough with flour, do you use wax paper?
I usually don't because the dough seems to stick to the paper, so I roll it out on the cupboard.

Mary Ellen said...

I totally know what you mean about pie crust coming out differently each time! It sure does get frustrating! And I don't care for using shortening either... it's really not very healthy.

You know as far as white vs. whole wheat flour goes, this year my mom said she always uses WWF and my grandpa was discussed and said she never uses whole wheat and than crust tastes much better with WF.

BUT.... WF is devoid of nutrients (like with the shortening) and the WWF make pie crust kind of thick and enjoyably. At least I think so... but it's been a year or two since I've tried the recipe with all WWF. The Betty Crocker recipe calls for all white.
Sooooo.. I guess my version is a compromise. ;)

I've never heard of using wax paper.... I suppose it might work good (I'll have to try it a time or two!!), but I also just use my counter-top! =)
lol... it probably save money that way too. ;)

Do try my recipe!!! I want to know if it works for others!!! =)